Friday, December 3, 2010

thumbin' my way down to north caroline

I wrote a blues song about shit I did this summer. it's called "corners of the midwest" and it's kind of not terrible, maybe. in other news, my voice is terrible, and weak, and too quiet. I always think it's okay until I record it and play it back. eurgh I sound like I'm twelve and have strep. which happened a lot, I had strep every other week as a kid. hey, maybe that's why I can't sing?

I also wrote two songs (and various fragments) about this kid I like a lot. and another song about cutting out and driving to California when you feel like it. these are the things that are on my mind. and shit. at least I'm playing guitar again? and the last couple I wrote have actual chord progressions that aren't just 1-4-5, so.

I averaged four hours of sleep a night this week. I was doing really, really well at not being dependent on caffeine, and then "having to learn how to be a section editor of a daily college newspaper" happened and now Dunkies coffee (and its ACTUALLY NAUSEATING amounts of cream and sugar) is my bff again. but I spent Wednesday night drinking cheap wine and yelling about basketball with other people who are insane enough to work for a newspaper. good shit.

did I ever write about the time I accidentally found Lake Erie over the summer? I was thinking of that when I was writing today and it ended up in one of the songs. that was a cool moment. I miss summer. I think somewhere deep in my brain I believe that as long as I'm still listening to predominantly Springsteen (which I am) it's still summer.

3 comments:

  1. springsteen always equals summer.
    and yeah I picked up Robs new book a little while back. Ive read about a chapter into it so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you should post your songs- and i wanna hear em when you get home. QUIT BOGARTING THE TALENT. :D the canadian on the other hand...

    Dunkies coffee is balls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like to give them a couple days after I write them to make sure they don't suck XD but if they don't we'll jam over Christmas, yo. I SHALL ALWAYS BOGART THE CANADIAN.

    yeah but it's cheaper than Starbucks :P

    ReplyDelete