Saturday, July 18, 2009

the things you love become the things you'll miss.

I just realized that - in the last couple weeks - I've worn almost nothing but my Red Sox, Dropkick Murphys and Boston University shirts. I AM SO READY TO LIVE IN BOSTON.

you know what I missed when I was walking down the streets at orientation, though? I missed the city of Pittsburgh. which doesn't make a whole lot of sense, because it's not like I live in town or even all that close. but I missed knowing where I was in relation to PNC Park, or the Mellon, or the South Side, or Pitt, or any one of the rivers or bridges. I missed seeing people in Lemieux and Crosby jerseys. hell, I even started feeling nostalgic for Steeler merchandise. good thing the Bruins wear black and gold too - small comfort.

I keep threatening that I'm going to come back with an obnoxious Boston accent, but really it's far more likely that I'll develop a Pittsburgh affectation I never even had here. just "yinz" all over the place to remind me of home a little. man, I'm going to have to explain so many times that no, I'm not from Philly, and you couldn't pay me to live in that hellhole. ;D

oy. I'm glad to be going far away to school, so very very glad. the change is gonna do me so much good, and I'm going to see the Dropkick Murphys on Saint Patrick's Day and live next to Fenway (seriously, the ballpark is literally a block from my dorm). but even as I'm typing this - home, in Greensburg - my heart's aching a little for Pittsburgh.

1 comment: