Monday, December 7, 2009

random recollections from the inner harbor barnes and noble (of no interest to anyone, really)



A year and a half ago in Baltimore – the night of the 2008 Major League Baseball All-Star Game, which I did not watch – I stood in front of the “classics” display in Barnes and Noble with a boy I was in love with, and decided I wasn’t well-read enough. He came to the same conclusion about himself around the same time. I ended up buying Slaughterhouse-Five in an attempt to remedy this, and he bought a book too, but I don’t remember what it was. I do remember singing a loud, ridiculous version of “Strawberry Fields Forever” with him later that night. But I never did read Slaughterhouse-Five.

Funny – two years before that I made a mad dash into the same Barnes and Noble to buy Come As You Are: The Story of Nirvana before the bus back to Latrobe left without me. (It turned out I hadn’t really needed to rush, though, because nobody could find Lu Wu.) I did read that one. And if I’d never read that one, about 80% of everything I’ve written in the last three and a half years – outside of school assignments – may never have been written. I guess if I ever go back to Baltimore, I'm sort of obligated to go back to the music section and say thanks.

2 comments:

  1. mmmturtles. mmmpgh. i wish there was an emoticon that expressed "sad, reminiscent, tired smile"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just tried to create one but it came out sort of like that thing Jon once referred to as "a catastrofuck." XD but yes, turtles. I was just listening to Nirvana and remembering how much I actually really like them. aah.

    ReplyDelete