Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I think I'm a know-it-all bitch about fandom sometimes. I really don't mean to be (usually), but I am. but I just think - if you're going to claim to be a massive fan of something, say, a particular professional hockey team based in Pittsburgh, then be a huge fan. know who we lost in free agency over the summer and why (well, as much as any of us know why. dsakfjaweoifs PETR SYKORA, COME BACK TO ME :( ). know who we signed and who we re-signed and who Bill Guerin is, for pete's sake. know when the season starts. don't continue happily under the impression that Sidney Crosby is the only guy on the team worth knowing about.

and I mean, it's fine if you want to ignore all that. I don't demand that everyone in the world care as much about NHL contract negotiations as I do, ffs, that would be unreasonable. but then don't SAY you do. SAY you're a casual fan. don't get offended, then, if I imply you don't know what the hell you're talking about, if you don't.

same goes for everything. casual fans of bands, etc kind of annoy me, because I can be an elitist bitch (who can't?) but not nearly so much as people who profess to absolutely love them/him/her/it and actually have no clue. and I don't expect that I'm saying anything controversial here, really, but I just have to rant sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment