Tuesday, August 31, 2010

red sox nation state of mind

(this is not an advertisement, I swear)

Living coffee shop to coffee shop my first few days in town. Espresso Royale in the bright, blacktop-hot August morning, claiming my wheat bagel and reading my book about the Brooklyn Dodgers. I come back to Barnes and Noble later, claim a wooden-backed chair and sit and write for an hour. I camp out in Dunkin Donuts in Kenmore Square, sweet thick iced coffee surging through my blood till my hands shake and I can’t get the words down on paper fast enough, and freshman kids sit down next to me talking about the crazy night they had last night at this MIT frat party. One kid’s phone rings and he tells his friend dude, you gotta get up here, Boston is crazy, college is the best. They all know each other already, they all have pictures to show each other on their phones, they are in their first 48 hours of College and this Dunkies is the place to be away from home. Wally the Green Monster greets us at the door – not bad advertising, as he actually talked me into getting a Coolatta two days before, which turned my mouth bright blue for an hour afterwards.

I camp out in the dining hall on Bay State, empty salad plate in front of me for an hour as I sit and read and talk to my friends miles and miles away. Next day I hit Starbucks for the air-conditioning and a caramel frappucino, an excuse to sit and write some more about the Arizona desert. It’s too hot to be outside, too dark in this narrow room to stay inside, so I bounce back and forth trying to think of things I can achieve before Thursday morning. Minor grocery shopping. Textbooks. Organization. Preparation for a segment of my life to start up again. I bounce coffee shop to coffee shop, air-conditioning to shade, grocery store to CVS, bed to hallway to dining hall, buzzing nervous at the end of summer under a bright blue sky.

No comments:

Post a Comment