Friday, August 28, 2009


"here we are in the center of the first world
it's laid out before us, who are we to break down?"

what a week.
I live in Boston now. this is where I live. in a place where every other person I pass on the street is wearing a Red Sox shirt. (seriously, this town is sports crazy, I think even more so than Pittsburgh because there are a) more people and b) more teams.)
twelve hours from anybody I feel comfortable around. it's sinking in now, sort of, that a) I am not an outgoing person and therefore b) the process of making all new friends and not being a total hermit (which I would probably be inclined to do if nobody stopped me) is going to be kind of exhausting. but worth it, right? worth it, after a month or a semester or two.

I met some good people this week.
refreshing and, again, exhausting all at once. I really am an introvert in the sense of the word in which it was used on that personality test we took in Euro; I like being around people, but eventually it tires me out and I have to have some time by myself to regroup.

today I hung out with this kid from Springfield, MA who eats/sleeps/breathes basketball. I told him I used to be that way. I miss basketball, sometimes - not playing on the school team, because that sucked, but just the game, because I love the mythology and the history and the aura of baseball, but when it comes down to it, if it's not hockey season I want to be on the basketball court. I could write a whole entry about that, but I guess I won't now.
anyway, he was an interesting kid. we had fun today even though we were sort of ineffective as coaches/counselors. we talked about the Beatles. the Beatles came up in conversation a lot in the last 24 hours, actually.

I spent a couple days being somewhat in love with this other kid; as soon as that passed, we actually started talking a little. good times. I really hope the way I relate to people in college can be at least slightly different than the way I did in high school. as in, I can actually TALK to people when I know we like all the same bands. wish me luck.

2 comments: