Saturday, February 13, 2010

USA USA USA (and London)

so I was actually assigned to make up two playlists for the magazine here at school. best assignment ever. the first one - the theme for this issue is "travel" - was a list of songs about various cities, and this is what I ultimately ended up with:

1. "Waterloo Sunset" - the Kinks
2. "Dirty Water" - Dropkick Murphys (Boston, of course)
3. "New York, New York" - Ryan Adams
4. "Washington, DC" - the Magnetic Fields
5. "Hotel Yorba" - the White Stripes (there actually is a Hotel Yorba outside of Detroit, it turns out)
6. "Graceland" - Paul Simon (Memphis)
7. "Proud Mary" - CCR (New Orleans, yo)
8. "Houston, TX" - Deer Tick
9. "Skyway" - the Replacements (Minneapolis <333333)
10. "Olympia, WA" - Rancid
11. "Portland, Oregon" - Jack White and Loretta Lynn (so fucking weird and I love it)
12. "Save Me, San Francisco" - Train
13. "Los Angeles" - Sugarcult
14. "Santa Monica" - Everclear

honorable mention: every Fountains of Wayne song about New York and North Jersey (but dude, there are eight million songs about New York, I could make several volumes of CDs of just the NYC songs on my iPod); every Dropkick Murphys song about Boston (they're pretty much the only ones who write about this fine city, aside from, uh, Jonathan Richman); every Green Day song that mentions real places in the Bay Area (fffff I want to go back and see them all so badly); every Chili Peppers song about Los Angeles (aka every Chili Peppers song that isn't about sex or heroin); every Clash song, and every other Kinks song, about London. also, "Good Morning Baltimore" from Hairspray. that one was tempting.

anything really obvious, or anything less obvious but still awesome, I missed? I feel like there are probably a ton.

2 comments:

  1. There's a song by Augustana called "Boston." Really neat one, reminds me of you a little.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahhh that is a good one, and it reminds me of me a little too. :)

    ReplyDelete