Monday, October 5, 2009

seas would rise when I gave the word

I once heard somebody say they weren't sure why "Viva la Vida" was such a big hit song, because it was impossible to relate to.

in fact, I think it's the exact opposite. sure, literally, most of us probably haven't been removed from a throne where we once were king, but I know I heard it for the first time in my car last fall and was like "...fuck, really? Chris Martin is the one who gets me?" [not a Coldplay fan in general, sorry]

the song isn't about the monarchy in seventeenth-century France, for pete's sake. it's about being on top of the world and losing it. it's about thinking you know everything and realizing you don't. it's about losing something you'll never get back.

the best part is the bridge into the last chorus, the part that's not any actual words. because after you acknowledge everything you've just acknowledged in the rest of the song, you really need to just let it all out with one of those epic Bono-type wails. let it go.

No comments:

Post a Comment