Wednesday, March 17, 2010

this irish fool's got a great big heart, keeps coming back into the ring

what a fucking show.

I'll be honest, up to the end, it could have been a little better. they played so much stuff from The Warrior's Code, which in itself isn't that bad but it was...pretty much all the songs I always skip on that album, haha. same with The Meanest of Times - I would have looooved to hear "Famous for Nothing" or "God Willing" but, alas.
but then they did "The Dirty Glass," with Stephanie Dougherty, the girl who sings it with them on the album, at which point I lost my fucking mind. BEST EVER, OH MY ACTUAL LORD. I want to be her.

...I wish I could remember how the fuck I got into the Dropkick Murphys, because it happened back when the only good music I listened to was Green Day, the White Stripes, Fountains of Wayne, and the Beatles. spring/summer 2005. I know I stumbled across them somehow, listened to Blackout (still my favorite album of theirs) at Barnes and Noble, and adopted them. but I have no idea what prompted it. sheer serendipitous wonderfulness, I suppose.

and then they came barging back into my life last summer, and they couldn't have timed it better. I think I needed a straightforward, no-bullshit band in my life. no flowery lyrics, no poetics and vague metaphors to get tripped up in, just loud, fast, honest songs.

anyway. so the show's going reasonably well, and then I happen to get onstage again, like I did when I saw them in June, only this time my camera battery doesn't die. AND I ACTUALLY GET A PICTURE OF ME AND AL BARR, WHOM I LOVE MORE THAN ABOUT 99.99999999999999% OF THE WORLD.

er, wait, I'm a moron with only half my head in the picture, let's give that another go.

sorry about my face. but dude, how many other bands even do that? just let people run free and wild onstage in huge gangs to yell "KISS ME I'M SHITFACED"? not bloody many, I will tell you. I fucking love these boys.

2 comments:

  1. :D this post is just about the happiest thing in the world. by the way, you didn't post the picture of me and robbie poet! hahahaha, he was my buddy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :DDDD still a little giddy.
    ahahaha I will do that as soon as I can! lord, the people you meet in the alleys of Warren, Ohio.

    ReplyDelete