Wednesday, April 14, 2010

cambridge common, 2 PM, 4/14/10

Old red brick and new gray stone
monuments and cherry trees stand alone
Christmas lights still wink in the trees
tangled in winter, now set free
by the midday sun, the Cambridge breeze
the miracles in the new green leaves

As I walk on to Harvard Square
The clash of years, it meets me there
the Oxford streets, the anytown stores
the singer standing in the door

and seven nations pass me by
underneath a perfect sky
If I should stay here for the night
I think I'd wake to see the light

everything loosened by the sun
I move easily on along
through wide streets and blue skies
through the people's town with the sun in my eyes

if I should stay here for tonight
I think I'd wake to see the light


[it's stupid how pretty Boston is sometimes. what a city. also, cheers to Ted Leo for inspiration for the "Harvard Square" line - he writes the best songs about Boston, I'm just trying to catch up.]

1 comment:

  1. you're beautiful. can we make them into music this summer?

    ReplyDelete