Tuesday, April 27, 2010

georgia on my mind? forgive me, it's my last week of class

While contemplating my possible future in an all-girl Beatles cover band (where I would, of course, be George - I've even been told I play guitar like him, which is not exactly the highest compliment a guitarist can be paid, but I'll take it), I realized that my name could totally be shortened to Georgia if I so desired. I tried to go by Georgie for about a week once in first grade, and I seem to remember that this was because of a girl in the Nancy Drew books I was reading named George. It didn't take.

It's kind of weird that I never, ever think of myself by my given name, and I don't think anybody else does either. I don't even think about it, aside from when I'm preparing on the first day of a new class to say "I go by Annie." I still have to take my time signing my full name on checks because that big unwieldy cursive G just doesn't come naturally. I have an A-name. I've always had an A-name. I kind of forget I'm Georgianne most of the time. But if I ever need a pen name or a clever alter ego I might just fall back on Georgia.

3 comments:

  1. I do the same thing with my full name.
    I forget sometimes its Angelina, except when people struggle and I say 'just ange".

    ha :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn. Hahah, I wish I had something cool to shorten my name to. "Samantha" is just so...boring :p But there are so many names I'd love to use. One of Mike's grandma's maiden names was Arrow. I keep telling him he should change his last name to that so that when we get married I can be Samantha Arrow. Doesn't that sound lovely and English?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Samantha Arrow is wicked classy. I like it a lot. It sounds like a British writer who wears glasses.

    ReplyDelete